Thursday, July 11, 2013

orange pecan brown sugar cookies

Big Fat Cookies was one of the first cookbooks I ever purchased. 

During my last year in college, my roommates and I used to go to the Barnes and Noble in uh, Roseville, I think, to study. One of the big draws was that this Barnes and Noble also sold used books, which were a lot of fun to peruse when I took study breaks. 

The cookbooks at this Barnes and Noble were located near the restrooms, so I passed by them a lot during my visits. I was just getting into cooking and baking, so I usually stopped to browse, but since money was tight, I usually restricted my purchases to the used book section. For some reason, Big Fat Cookies caught my eye, and after passing by it more than once, I finally gave in and bought it.  
This is a great cookbook. In the beginning, I used to make the cookies big and fat, but I eventually stopped because they were, well, too big and fat (now I just make them a normal size). I even remember the first thing I made: Chocolate Chip Stuffed Cookies. That was a long time ago, but I still turn to this cookbook when I'm in the mood to bake cookies. And when I'm not in the mood to bake cookies, I turn to Elinor Klivans' other cookbooks: the Cupcakes! cookbook, the Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook, or Chocolate Cakes.

I first made orange pecan brown sugar cookies back in December, and my friend loved them. In fact, he was the one who reminded me of when I first made them because I couldn't remember. It was his birthday earlier this week (we're birthday buddies!) and he requested these. I happily complied, and they were a big hit at his birthday party. 

No comments: