Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Data Collecting, Round ?

When I was a kid, I hated puzzles. I never had the patience to complete them. So, it seems counterintuitive that I chose to go to grad school. See, academics grapple with puzzles everyday, trying to come one step closer to solving them. At precisely 4:40 pm yesterday, I hated my qualifying paper. I remember this because I was sitting in Michele's office, venting, discouraged with the status of my paper and upset because it still wasn't done. I had just returned from a meeting with DM, who seemed to be excited and optimistic about this paper. Why didn't I share in his enthusiasm? Because I have a puzzle, and I don't know how to solve it. Because I don't know how to solve it, my paper is still incomplete.

So, I went home, did some free writing (a habit I learned in a high school writing class) and reflected on DM's suggestions for the paper. Later that night, I met Michele at the pub and she helped me figure out what I needed to do next to improve the paper. She reminded me (as DM did, too) that I was learning a lot through this process. So, one too many glasses of wine later, I had more clarity and fresh ideas to move the paper forward. At around 10:30 pm last night, I decided that I really like this paper and I'm excited that I may be coming one step closer to figuring out my puzzle. So, that's why I'm sitting here at my computer, nearly one year after starting this project, collecting more data.

No comments: