Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie: Trial 8

Today I made Maple-Walnut Chippers, from my Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe book. These cookies contained equal parts of granulated sugar and brown sugar, walnuts, lots of chocolate chips, and the secret ingredient: maple syrup. I also substituted shortening for the butter, since I was out. These cookies baked up so, so beautifully. Take a look:
I tried something new with this batch. Usually, the chocolate chip cookie recipes call for baking soda. Instead of adding the total amount of baking soda called for, I usually substitute equal parts of baking soda and baking powder. I do this because I'm terrified that the cookies will not rise and instead spread out too thinly. Today, I followed the recipe as is, adding the complete amount of baking soda and no baking powder. I was so pleased to see that these cookies baked up quite nicely.

These cookies were soft on the inside, a bit crunchy on the outside, and full of flavor. The flavor from the maple syrup is subtle and it really gives these cookies a bit of kick. The walnuts, chocolate chips, and maple syrup are an excellent combination of flavors. Today's cookies earned lots of accolades, and Casey said that they were her favorite so far. Who knows? I may have finally baked the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, this new data may not be accurate... I must sample these for myself to be sure. Please forward your results to me for testing and I will reply with my analysis shortly.