Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer "Break"

Today is the first day of summer break, and the first school-free weekend that I have had in a very long time. Weekends become pretty meaningless in grad school since we tend to work all the time- Friday nights, Saturdays, Sundays- no time is off limits when there are deadlines to meet, grading to be done, and neverending reading and writing. Today feels strange- I slept in, had a long leisurely breakfast, and I'm watching cheesy TV movies while still in my pajamas. I plan to take the next couple days to relax and recuperate before I begin working again.

Last summer, I actually had a summer break. I was a grader for a couple classes, I went on a couple trips, and I spent my lazy afternoons reading at the pool. An older grad student told me to enjoy the summer after my first year because that would be the only truly relaxing and lazy summer. She was so right. This summer, I will be working on 3 papers, and I will be a research assistant for DM and a grader for a Critical Political Theory class. Oh, and I'm going to Ann Arbor for a month long statistics course. And I'm still trying to figure out when I'll fit in a trip to Minnesota. I get bored too easily, so I am glad to have plenty to keep me busy this summer.

No comments: