Saturday, August 9, 2008

8/8/08

So, I have a confession to make. I'm a nerd. Totally geeky. How geeky, you ask? Last night a couple friends and I got together for pizza, beer, and the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. I love all these Olympic. In fact, in bums me out that I'm not home right now, glued to the TV. Because I'm sharing a house right now with about 15 people, I can't have a monopoly over the TV. And oh yeah, I'm also doing lots and lots of stats homework.

Anyway, here's where the geek part comes in. While my friends and I were sitting there talking about how much we loved the Olympics, I was trying to think of ways to tie it into my research. Seriously. I actually gave some thought to this. And shared it with my friends. So, here's what I was thinking: When did the Olympics become political? In the past, countries have boycotted, athletes have demonstrated, and then there was the massacre in Munich in 1972. This year, demonstrators staged protests during the Olympic torch relay runs. And, Iraq almost didn't get to go to the Olympics. All right, I might be missing other events, but I'll move on.

Let's talk about citizenship and representation of a country. Many athletes (Michael Phleps, Shawn Johnson) are citizens of their home countries, train there, and represent their home countries. However, there are several (Adam Harris, Yao Ming) with dual citizenship and choose to represent a country other than the one in which they live and train. What does this say about allegiance, membership, and identity?

Finally, (and this is my personal favorite and gripe) this is what I have to say to the media: enough about all the mothers on the Olympic team. Seriously. Just stop it. Now, I'm a fan of Jennie Finch and Dara Torres too. Really, I think they're just great. But surely there are men (Bryan Clay) who are also combining fatherhood, training, and the Olympics. Where are they? As long as the media focuses on mothers, it exacerbates the notion that raising children is still a woman's job and not a man's. By glorifying Finch and Torres (but not Clay), the media is sending the message that they are extraordinary because they have been able to become Olympians despite being full time mothers. In contrast, Clay is not considered extraordinary because fatherhood is STILL considered to be a part time endeavor, and it is assumed that he has a partner (wife) who assumes child rearing responsibilities. So, the media may be doing something good (showing that women can be both athletes AND mothers), but it is still reinforcing gender roles and stereotypes by focusing on the accomplishments of the mothers and not the fathers.

All right, more on this later. I have to go do stats homework now.

No comments: