Wednesday, August 13, 2008

almost...done...with...stats...camp

This past month has flown by so, so quickly. Stats camp is almost over- I turned in both of my final homework assignments on Tuesday evening, and tomorrow is our last day of class. If I had to sum up ICPSR in one word, I think that I would say that it is intense. In 4 weeks, we learned the amount of class material that is usually learned in a class that is at least a 10 weeks- and most of us took 2 classes. We all started to get burnt out near the end of last week. On Monday, our regression professor asked us a simple question, only to watch our eyes glaze over.

Yet, I am glad that I came to ICPSR. The homework was intense, but it was something that we all went through (or suffered through) together. ICPSR was headquartered in Newberry, where they set up study lounges, computer labs, and a library. (Remember, this is where I found the free coffee!) The offices for the professors and TAs were here too. I really enjoyed learning statistics in this environment because most of us did our homework in Newberry, so there were always fellow classmates, professors, and TAs easily accessible if we had any questions.

I learned a lot, much more than I expected. And, I feel more confident with statistics and I understand it so much better than before. Much of this is to the credit of my regression professor, who is simply an amazing teacher. Seriously, he has a gift. He uses these metaphors and speaks in plain language to explain statistical concepts. Today he taught us about Maximum Likelihood Estimation by using a metaphor about GPS navigation, mountain ranges, and a parachuter. This might sound strange, but I understand MLE, so mission accomplished.

I have 2 full days to explore Ann Arbor before I head back to Southern California. Now I will get to be a tourist, which means that I'm going to wander around, find cool places to eat, and do the things that I wasn't able to do these past few weeks.

No comments: