Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Smokin Fez Monkeys and Mustard's Retreat

Last night, we went to The Ark, this venue in downtown Michigan featuring daily performances by various folk artists. We went to see Mustard's Retreat, a local singing/songwriting duo. This Ohio based jug band, Smokin Fez Monkeys, opened for them. (I don't actually know what jug band means, but this is how the band identifies itself on its CD. On a side note, isn't it cool how I've figured out how to link websites to my blog posts? Neat-o.)

So, Mustard's Retreat is composed of these 2 men about my dad's age who sing and play a bunch of different guitars that all sound the same to me. They've been singing and songwriting together since the 1970s. The music was super mellow and they had good harmonies, and I knew that my parents would enjoy it. The Smokin Fez Monkeys was composed of 4 men and a woman who plays the violin. One guy plays the bass, another plays the banjo, another played this instrument that looked like a guitar, and the last guy played percussion, only it was this upright smorgasbord of various noisemakers. The music was also sprinkled with harmonicas, jugs (is this why it's a jug band?), etc. This band was awesome; they were quirky, upbeat, funky, and original. The music was unique, and it sounded bluegrass and folk-like to me. I could have listened to them for the entire evening, which is why I purchased their CD.

Funnily, we were the youngest group at the Ark last night. The rest of the audience were around our parents' age. And with a Russian, a Brazilian, and a Korean in tow, we also brought the only ethnic diversity as well.

2 comments:

ChoirCorner said...

I was there too, and really enjoy their music. Where were you sitting? I was up near the back, center.

Uh, Clem said...

Chris with a K,

Thanks for the really kind words. I was the guy with the upright bass in the Smokin Fez Monkesy. We had a great time at the Ark, and sure hope to be invited back. It was great to hear from someone outside the "geezer" crowd who enjoyed what we were doing.

Uh, Clem