Sunday, October 12, 2008

a chilly beach day

We are headed into our 3rd week, and I've noticed that some of the first year grad students seem to be asking the same question (more or less) over and over again: How do you manage your time? Do you have time to have fun? What do you do for fun? And so on. See, in grad school, you're not supposed to act as if you have all the time in the world. It's like the grad school culture reinforces this idea that we're supposed to work all the time and act as if this is the case.

I'm still trying to figure out how to be productive and manage my time. So far, I've found that being disciplined and being less social around the office has definitely increased my productivity. I try not to work at night, but this guideline tends to go out the window as the end of the quarter nears. And, I try not to work on Friday or Saturday nights, but again, this is only a guideline.

The habits that we develop now will stick with us for the rest of our careers, so I'm trying to develop good ones. After all, I can't put fun and play on hold while I'm in grad school. I took Friday night off for dinner and a movie with a friend. Yesterday was a busy day involving the beach, shopping, food, and Bath and Body Works. I walked around Laguna Beach in the afternoon. It was a bit cool and windy, but it was nice and peaceful and definitely what I needed to recharge. How times have changed: 2 years ago I would have been wearing a bikini at the beach; now, I was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans.


No comments: