Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Crossword Puzzles: Day 4

An earlier comment noted that when attempting crossword puzzles, it helps to be of the Baby Boomer generation. I'm 4 days into my crossword puzzle mission, and I can see that crossword puzzle authors do not have my generation in mind. (this explains why my dad was so easily able to finish crossword puzzles that I had started) Some of the clues are impossible for me to solve. Here are some examples from today's crossword:

29 across: Frequent Roy Rogers sidekick
62 across: Roy Rogers rival
5 down: Title hotel employee in a 1960 Jerry Lewis film, with "The"

So, crossword puzzles are a bit of a struggle. However, I am able to get started when I come across clues that utilize my elementary knowledge of Spanish and Italian. Today, I knew that "amore" was the answer to 52 across: Love, Italian-style and "adios" was the answer to 11 down: Acapulco farewell. And, having taken the GRE helps too. Today, I knew that "tamp" was the answer to 8 down: Pack (down). So far, I am able to answer about 1/3 of the clues before giving up.

I'm sending my parents a Christmas package today, and yes, I am also sending yesterday's unfinished crossword puzzle to my dad.

No comments: