Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie: Trial 14

After a 2-1/2 month hiatus from the chocolate chip cookie project, today's trial is purely by accident. I've been doing some holiday baking lately, and I was looking through the Martha Stewart Cookie Book for some new recipes. I came across the Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie, and I knew that I had to make these. The cookies are a gingerbread base with chocolate chips. Take a look:
These cookies are a twist to the traditional chocolate chip cookie, which is why I decided to include this recipe among the trials. They are a little flatter than I would have liked, but I love the gingerbread and chocolate combination. The cookies were a tiny bit crunchy around the perimeter, but nice and chewy once I bit into them. This is a dense cookie, not at all light and fluffy. There is freshly grated ginger in these cookies, giving them this rich, deep gingerbread flavor. Also, I rolled these in granulated sugar prior to baking, and the sugar really makes the cookies glisten. These cookies get bonus points for creativity and for being accidentally vegan.

The holiday baking continues with my mom's Peanut Butter Blossoms recipe. These are soft and fluffy peanut butter cookies with a Hershey Kiss in the middle. The peanut butter flavor is not heavy or overpowering; it's more of a subtle flavor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

2 thumbs up on the pb blossoms, the hershey kiss is what made me choose the cookie and the softness and the pb made me enjoy it

Amanda Ebner said...

Dude, you throw down gingerbread AND chocolate and I nearly can't handle it.

Except I totally did handle it in class today. Thanks so much for bringing us special treats!