Sunday, January 24, 2010

minnesota vikings

Drew and I got back from a weekend trip to San Diego (more on that later), and I did something completely out of character. I watched football. Sort of. The Minnesota Vikings were playing the New Orleans Saints for the NFC championship. Or AFC. I don't really know. All I know is that the winner goes to the Super Bowl.

I tuned in somewhere in the middle of the 2nd quarter, and I watched the 2nd half. I've never watched so much Vikings football in my entire life. I even cheered for Minnesota, even though I'm still bitter that the state decided to audit me. When Minnesota had the lead, I got a little hopeful and contemplated having a Super Bowl party. (I told Drew that I would make a tator tot hotdish for the occasion- hotdish is Minnesota speak for a casserole) My planning was premature- the lead went back and forth, but in the end, the Saints won in overtime.

I'm a little disappointed because the Vikings have never been to the Super Bowl in my lifetime. But a Super Bowl berth, with Brett Favre (you know, former Packer quarterback and former Viking arch nemesis) at the helm, would have been tainted. It would have been like a Super Bowl trip with an asterisk next to it. By the way, here is some interesting trivia: the Vikings and the Buffalo Bills are tied with the most Super Bowl appearances and no wins- at four.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the Vikings lost the game. Had they won, the team and the fans would push even harder for taxpayers to fork over money for a new stadium.