Wednesday, January 13, 2010

not buying it

I'm in the middle of reading Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine. It's this book about a woman who is frustrated and disgusted with consumerism, frivolous spending, and overconsumption. So she decides to take a year off from buying stuff, and she and her husband purchase only disposable and "necessary" items like food and shampoo. No new clothes, no movies, no dining out, nothing. It's an interesting book. She talks about how second nature buying stuff just is; it's like shopping is programmed into us or something. Levine also discusses how shopping has been justified because it makes people feel better, buying new stuff is a way to keep up with the Joneses, and how having new stuff makes us think that we are enhancing our experiences.

I've been thinking more about my spending and tried to cut down on frivolous spending. So far, it's not really working. In December, I took advantage of holiday sales and went out to buy clothes and kitchen gadgets, all under the pretense of Christmas shopping (for other people). And on New Year's Day, I went to the Bath and Body Works semi annual sale, which is practically a post-Christmas tradition. I budgeted $50 for such an event, but ended up spending $80. By the way, I had no business being in Bath and Body Works. I have lotion left over in the nine bottles purchased at LAST year's sale. And, I actually mentally inventoried the bottles in my office (2 full sized bottles of body cream and a Burt's Bees hand salve). I'm not exaggerating here.

You're probably wondering how one manages to spend nearly $100 at a store that sells primarily lotions, body creams, and other assorted bath products. Well, for one thing, I take advantage of the sale and stock up for the year. And I have an amazing ability to rationalize my purchases. Do I really need 4 containers of body butter? Well, yes. I need one for my backpack, one for my office, one for home, and one to spare. Do I need two bottles of shower gel (that will join my two bottles already in the shower)? Well, yes. I like the variety. See how this goes? Hey, I'm just proud of myself for staying away from the scented candles. (I'm not being virtuous here; it's just that I was already in the store in December and purchased 3)

It's amazing how we justify our extracurricular spending. On the way home from Bath and Body Works, I mentally rationalized my purchases. This is what went through my head: "hmmm, I don't get manicures or pedicures, I don't wear make up, I cut my hair only twice a year, so since I don't incur these other beauty expenses, it's okay if I spend a lot of money on scented lotions and body creams so that I have well-moisturized skin." It's interesting how we all have our shopping weaknesses, and in our own way, perpetuate our consumerist society. I suppose we're all to blame.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I used to be HORRIBLE about Bath and Body Works stuff - I can totally identify with walking out of the store and being like, "Wait, how much did I spend?!?" and those blowout sales are totally the worst for that.

I remember going to one in 2008 and going a little overboard, and I decided to cut back. I think that was the year I bought about 3 bottles of plumeria shower gel, all at once because, "they're discontinuing it and I have to stock up!!" Oy. So for me, cutting back has meant not going in the store at all, because I can't help myself once I'm there. I switched over to using bar soap (Oil of Olay, the horror!) but I do have some of their lavender aromatherapy shower gel that I'll use every once in a while which I love.

Of course, I have other consumerist habits that are so not under control. Oh well, one at a time.