Thursday, January 28, 2010

san diego

Drew and I went to San Diego last weekend to eat good pizza and celebrate his birthday. I have decided that I have a love-hate relationship with San Diego. I love San Diego and all the things to see and eat, but I hate navigating the roads. We didn't get lost, but we made plenty of wrong turns.

We started the day in Old Town, which is this historic section of San Diego that's been reincarnated as a tourist attraction. It's very tourist-y but still fun to walk around and duck in and out of the little shops.

Below is Cousin's Candy Shop, which is reason enough to go to Old Town. Even if you have no desire to go to Old Town, at least go for the candy. The shop is small and has an assortment of taffy, chocolate covered nuts, jelly beans, and lots more of course. The best part is the fudge- it is rich, creamy, and simply heavenly. We tried the pecan praline and the snickers, but we'll be back to try the others.
Later in the evening, we went to the National Comedy Theater for some good laughs. If you are in the area, I recommend this show. It's cheap- just a couple dollars more than a movie. More importantly, it's really quite funny and entertaining. The show is totally improvised and relies upon audience feedback. There are two teams of performers, playing games and competing against one another to garner the most laughs. The format is similar to Whose Line is it Anyway?

The next day, we headed to Bronx Pizza in search of good New York style pizza. (I should tell you that we had already eaten at Pizzeria Luigi the night before, a great New York style pizza place that I raved about in an earlier post) I guess you could call this the battle of the pizzas. Bronx Pizza did not disappoint, and the pizza was infinitely better than most anything I've eaten in Orange County. (however, Drew and I decided that we still prefer Pizzeria Luigi) Bronx Pizza was cute and low key; there were loads of Yankees memorabilia on the wall. (I snapped pictures for Drew, but I can't bring myself to post them here)
We also walked around Hillcrest and ate cupcakes at Babycakes. The only downside to Babycakes is that it is not in Orange County. It is this cute little coffeeshop by day and what looks to be a wine bar by night. (we went in the afternoon, so we don't really know what goes on at night) The cupcakes look too good to eat, but we ate them anyway. I think that these were the best cupcakes that I've ever eaten (and I've had my fair share). We had a hazelnut and a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. They were moist, and the buttercream was nice and thick.
Okay, that's all folks.

No comments: