Monday, January 18, 2010

not buying it addendum

I made blueberry muffins over the weekend, and they were really great, but that's only tangentially related to this post. When baking muffins and cupcakes, it is recommended that you use one of those fancy ice cream scoops with a spring release to scoop up the batter and deposit it into the muffin tins. I don't have one of these, so I improvise with regular spoons. Anyway, so I'm sitting there, reading Not Buying It, the book about the woman who doesn't buy anything for a year. And I turn to Drew and tell him that I think I'm going to go buy an ice cream scoop with a spring release so it's easier to bake muffins and cupcakes. And he starts laughing. Mind you, he's not being rude. It's just that the situation is so ironic. I'm reading a book about a woman's experience with eschewing overconsumption and here I want to buy a non-essential kitchen gadget. He knows that I already have a spring release scoop for cookie dough, and he asks why I don't just use that for mffins and cupcakes. It's too small, I say. I want a bigger one. More laughing.

(By the way, I actually paused to order two cookbooks from Amazon. What's going on with me? I actually took a time out from a blog post about frivolous spending to buy cookbooks that I probably don't need. Did I mention that between Drew and I, we got 3 cookbooks for Christmas? And I bought another cookbook the week after we got home? Oh, and I'm borrowing another one from a friend?)

So I was at Sur la Table yesterday, looking for an immersion blender. I know, I know, I should just get a food processor. It's just that it might be easier to have an immersion blender; less clean up, you know? Anyway, Sur la Table was sold out of the one I wanted and I wasn't about to hand over nearly $100 for the fancier models. I took a moment to price ice cream scoops with a spring release. They were $17. Damn. I guess I can continue improvising with my regular kitchen spoons.

(In case you're wondering, Drew got a vegan cookbook for Christmas and I got one on pies and another on tarts, quiches, and loaves. I'm borrowing a Moosewood cookbook, I bought Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar a couple weeks ago, and I just ordered Vegan Brunch and Vegan with a Vengeance)

No comments: