Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RIP seedlings

I'm sad to report that I've killed off the beefsteak tomato seedlings. I blame my dad for this one, but he doesn't know it yet (sorry dad!). See, the seedlings were delicate and fragile, but they were outgrowing their containers. So I transplanted them into larger containers, but then there was no room for them inside under the lights. Seeing as how our apartment is a dungeon and the porch gets little sunlight, I had little choice but to set them outside in the garden. I consulted my dad for advice, and he agreed. The seedlings lasted barely 48 hours. The eggplant seedlings are barely hanging on. Fortunately, the romas are warm and cozy inside and under the lamps.

So later today, I picked up an eggplant plant and I rescued a tomato plant from our garden's community seedling collection. I hope it perks up.

On the way home from the gym today, I stopped by the garden and came across the kids from the nearby day care admiring our garden plot (supervised of course). Well, to be fair, they were running around and admiring everyone's garden plot and they just so happened to be at mine as I walked up. But, they seemed impressed, and I distinctly remember hearing a kid excitedly shout "hey, look at this!" So, despite killing off some seedlings, we must be doing something right.

No comments: