Monday, September 5, 2011

escabeche

Based on the way I've been spending my free time lately, you'd never guess Drew and I live in sunny, southern California. You'd never guess that we have access to fresh produce year round from the farmer's market. Rather, you'd think we lived in a cold weather state, by the way I've been busily putting up food. I guess I'll just be prepared for when we (hopefully) live in a cold weather state.

So far I've canned two kinds of salsa (a third is soon to come), mango chili butter, and now escabeche.
We have one jalapeno plant, which produces too many jalapenos for us to cook with, but not enough to can. But this week we're garden sitting for some friends who went out of town, and they told us to help ourselves to anything we'd like. So we picked their jalapenos and this is what happens when their peppers got together with ours: escabeche.

I thought escabeche was something made of fish, but I guess there could be more than one kind. Anyway, this one consists of pickled and seasoned veggies- onions, cauliflower, garlic, carrots, and of course, jalapenos. It was super easy to make, and tasted pretty good.

No comments: