Friday, September 30, 2011

on running

As you may recall, I am in the throes of training for the Turkey Trot, a 5K on Thanksgiving Day. I am nearing the end of the 3rd week of training. Last Sunday, I ran 3 miles, which was my first 3 miler in a really, really long time, maybe even years. It went well, and I didn't feel like I was going to die. I have also started running with a friend, something I've never done before. We won't be able to run together all the time, but for now, it looks like we'll have a standing Sunday morning running date.

I have a few reasons for taking up running. For one thing, I'd like to lose some weight. During the time I've been in grad school, I've gained and lost the same 5-7 pounds. The good thing is that I lose those same 5-7 pounds. The alternative is that they just accumulate. But I'm tired of being so inconsistent with my workout habits, and I'm confident running will get me on track. Having a clear goal (the Turkey Trot) certainly helps, but so does the structure of a training program. I know when I'm going to run, how often, and for how many miles. My Type A personality really likes this structure.

I flirted with running before I came to grad school, and I really enjoyed it. I ran a couple 5Ks, and I considered training for a 10K. But then I moved to CA and never really hopped back on the treadmill, so to speak. I ran here and there, but never as consistently as I did prior to grad school.

I've also been motivated to take up running because I'm hoping that it will help me cope with grad school. This past year has been incredibly difficult and stressful. These things will always be there, but I'm looking for ways to deal with them. Yoga has certainly been a life saver, but it alone is not the cure-all pill. Already, I can tell that running is helping- it helps me cope with my stress and frustration, and it clears my mind.

No comments: