Thursday, September 1, 2011

salsa!

We had a bit of a "heat" wave the past few days (meaning temperatures reached the high 80s, maybe even low 90s). Naturally, the best thing to do during a "heat wave" is turn on all the stove burners and can something, which is exactly what I did.

We had a bunch of jalapeno, green, and red peppers, and we needed to do something with them. I've been eating the red and green peppers with hummus, but obviously I just can't eat jalapenos in the same way. So I decided to make salsa even though our tomato plants aren't quite up to the task yet. But I'd had my eye on a recipe for peach salsa, and since we're not growing peaches anyway, I decided to head down to the farmer's market to pick some up. And I couldn't resist the fat romas and beefsteaks, so I got those too.

So Drew and I made peach salsa and a fresh tomato salsa earlier this week. They're a little spicy, namely because I got a little lazy with de-seeding the jalapenos and didn't do such a good job. But the salsas taste nice and fresh and way better than the store bought stuff.

No comments: