Monday, September 5, 2011

a trip to the moca

Yesterday, Drew and I headed up to LA to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art. I'd never been before, but I was on a mission to see Andy Warhol's collection of Campbell's soup cans. There are 32 in all. The MOCA does not allow photography, so I snagged this picture off the internet:
Warhol was part of the pop art movement. Some people probably wouldn't even classify his work as art, but I love it. I love that Warhol is making some sort of social commentary with his art. I love that his soup cans are a critique of our consumerist and mass produced society. It's genius.

The rest of the museum was great too. There were plenty of exhibits, but not so many that we didn't get to see them all. I'm a fan of modern art, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. My general rule with art is, the crazier, the weirder, and the more mysterious and abstract it is, the better.

After walking around the MOCA, we decided to walk around the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Frank Gehry designed it (he was also the architect behind the Weisman Art Museum on the Univ of MN campus). It's beautiful.

We wandered around and climbed the stairs to the public garden. It was really nice and made a good day even better.

No comments: