Wednesday, September 14, 2011

turkey trot

After years of working out off and on (fortunately more "ons" than "offs"), I've decided that this is just the thing to get me motivated and moving: the Turkey Trot. It's a 5K on Thanksgiving Day. Drew and I have just registered, and I've roped at least one family member into joining us.

I ran a couple 5Ks in Minnesota, but none since moving to California. I enjoy running (I really mean jogging) and I do it here and there, but I haven't run consistently since the summer of 2006 in Minnesota. I check out issues of Runner's World from the public library in the hopes that I'll be motivated to run. Sometimes it works, but more often it does not.

So now I have a clear goal, but perhaps more importantly, I've forked over $30 for a registration fee. I have a training program and I started it yesterday. Already, it feels good. I harbor no grand expectations for race day. My only goal is the same one I've had for the previous 5Ks: jog the entire way, no matter how slow.

No comments: