Sunday, November 28, 2010

2 black friday discoveries

I really don't like car alarms. I just don't see the point. Sure, it's easy for me to say this. I drive an old car that probably doesn't attract thieves. I have nothing valuable in my car- no GPS, no fancy speakers, and no fancy stereo. There is a beach blanket and jumper cables in the trunk, but of course, you wouldn't know that because they are in the trunk. If somebody broke into my car, they would surely be disappointed. I mean, what are they going to take? My emergency stash of granola bars? (don't laugh, they come in handy in the stop-and-go traffic)

Wait? What was I saying? Oh yes, car alarms. I despise them and I don't see the point. Do car alarms really deter would-be thieves? It seems that more often than not, they are set off by, say, loud noises, not potential thieves. So when they do go off, it seems to be more of a nuisance and less of an alert.

So where is this all going? Let me tell you. The other evening, a car alarm went off outside of our apartment building. Repeatedly. It was a minor annoyance. It kept going off, sporadically. I assume that it eventually stopped. But after the first few times, I began to worry. What if that's my car? But I shoved that thought aside. I've had my car for a year and a half. If I had a car alarm, surely I would know it by now. I think you know where this story is going.

On Friday, Drew and I got home from Oceanside, and as we were getting out of the car, a car alarm went off. And, you guessed it: it was MY car alarm. So apparently, I have a car alarm. And I hate it. We have no idea what set off the alarm, and we also have no idea how we shut it off. But we did, and the car's been quiet ever since.

I made another discovery on Friday. It appears that the best time to shop on Black Friday is actually on Friday night. Sure, you might miss out on some of the best deals, but many stores still have good sales. I got a couple shirts for 30% off at Express, and I got some stuff on sale at Macy's. But best of all, I missed out on all the crazy people, the crowds, and the long lines. It was fabulous.

On a related note, Thanksgiving was great. Drew and I went down to Oceanside to see my family. As we do every year, we went to the beach and had a nice little walk, we ate too much food, and watched movies. The next day, we ate leftover pie for breakfast and ventured out to the mall in the late morning. It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: