Monday, November 8, 2010

some random musings

Drew and I were in Target the other day. Halloween was only one week ago, but Target has already put out their Christmas and winter displays. Though I think that these things should wait until after Thanksgiving, I could not resist having a look. I paused to look at a red apron with snowflakes. I kind of wanted it. Then I got sidetracked by the kitchen towels with snowflakes and snow people. I asked Drew if we should get them. He said "Only if it means you won't buy something more expensive." Hahahaha! Sometimes I hate it when I embody gender stereotypes.

I am taking a cake decorating class. It is four sessions long, and the first class was last Saturday. I learned how to bake, tort, and frost a cake. Then I learned how to pipe stars onto cookies. The class is fun enough, but I have to do homework. And you would think that this wouldn't bother me, seeing as how it is the fun kind (for next Saturday I have to bring a round cake and 2 batches of buttercream frosting), but like any homework, I find myself procrastinating and waiting until the last minute. For the first class, I had to bring 6 cookies, and sure enough, I waited until Friday night to buy store bought cookies- something I NEVER do.

The class is fun so far, and there are neat gadgets to play with. But it's a dangerous class too. The instructor works for Wilton, so her goal is to not only teach us how to decorate cakes but also to peddle Wilton products. And it works too. After last class, I decided that I really needed to buy this device for torting a cake. And so I did. It was an easy decision because it was only like $3, but now I have my eye on the cake turntable. I am relying on Drew here to be the voice of reason and discourage me from making any frivolous purchases, but I'm not sure that it's going to work.

The weather has finally cooled off so now it's almost like a real fall!

No comments: