Thursday, November 18, 2010

pumpkin stuffed with everything good

I have always had a fondness for pumpkins, but this is the first year that I have actually cooked with them. So far Drew and I have made pumpkin risotto, he has made pumpkin enchiladas, and I have made pumpkin cupcakes. The sugar pumpkins are quite flavorful, but the ones that typically get carved are nice too. Last night, Drew and I made pumpkin stuffed with everything good. My former adviser and professor that I am currently TAing for, LD, passed along the recipe because he knows of my enthusiasm and fondness of all things pumpkin.

This is, well, pumpkin stuffed with everything good. It is very easy to make. You make a stuffing- this one has bread, scallions, carmelized onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, veggie bacon, smoked gouda, salt and pepper. Then you hollow out a pumpkin, stuff it with the filling, and pour cream over the top. Here is the before shot:
Then replace the top:

And pop it in the oven for 2 hours! Here is the after shot:
Doesn't that look fabulous?
Mmmm, it was so good! I am going to make it every year now!

On a sidenote, I recently discovered a huge rosemary bush growing right outside our apartment. It is awesome. Fresh rosemary all the time! It's like having a personal herb garden. Well, with just one herb, but it still counts.

No comments: