Thursday, January 29, 2009

don't look up; don't look down

I decided to finally take a rock climbing class at the ARC (Anteater Recreation Center), our school gym. Many times, I intended to take a class and I've recently decided that I need to try out something new. I went to my first class last night, and as I was walking to the ARC, I wondered if rock climbing was a good idea since I am afraid of heights. Anyway, it wasn't so bad, and the climbing wall is only about 2 stories tall. I completed 3 climbs. On the first try, I climbed up about 3/4 the height of the wall. On the next 2 climbs, I made it all the way up to the top. It was a great feeling- exhilarating and a bit nervewracking. One of my friends gave me some good advice: She said "Don't look up, don't look down, just look straight ahead." Great advice for rock climbing, and life in general.

I have another rock climbing class left, and I plan to get a membership to the climbing wall. I need a new hobby, and it seems like a good way to meet some new people. I have a few friends that climb, and the wall reserves 2 nights a week for single climbers. Not that I'm actively trying to date or anything, but the downside to yoga is that when I see a cute guy, I don't get to talk to him. I mean, you can't really start chatting someone up in the middle of a down dog, you know?

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

First of all, congrats on the climbing! I did the class but didn't really get 'into' it, so I suck.

Second off all, there are actually a good amount of dudes that come to my Spin class...in case you're ever interested!