Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie: Trial 16

Let me begin this post by mentioning that I almost didn't make these cookies. The recipe called for bittersweet chocolate, and I could not find any at Trader Joe's. But, my adviser informed me that bittersweet chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are interchangeable in baking, and Wikipedia confirmed this. (Luckily, I have an academic adviser that goes above and beyond his academic advising duties to teach me about types of chocolate.)

This recipe is from the LA Times food section, which comes every Wednesday. Even though I love the food section, I rarely try out any of the recipes, for various reasons: too many ingredients, rare ingredients, too time consuming, food I don't eat, etc. However, I have found that I am more likely to try out any recipes for any sort of baked goods. In the past, I've made coconut cupcakes and a marble bundt cake.

These cookies are called ooey-gooey double-chocolate cookies, and the recipe is courtesy of Milk, this cafe and bakeshop in Los Angeles. The cookies contain an insane amount of chocolate. I melted unsweetened chocolate with butter, then I added the mixture to eggs, sugar, and vanilla. I sifted in cocoa, flour (only a 1/2 cup!), baking powder, and salt. Finally, I stirred in a package of semi-sweet chocolate chips and chilled the dough in the refrigerator.

The dough was really, really good- rich and chocolate-y. It was super gooey and almost like a batter, a little difficult to form into balls. The cookies did not spread much, and the chocolate was incredibly intense- very, very rich and heavy. I was really glad that I made these cookies nice and small- about half the size recommended by the recipe. The cookies were soft but not chewy, and you got a mouthful of chocolate chips in each bite. I was afraid that given the name of the cookies, they were going to be messy to eat. They were not; they were like a cross between a brownie and a cookie.

I took these cookies to class today, and it seemed that everyone loved them. Y said that they were the best cookies that he's ever eaten, and my adviser said that they were "very good."

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

I adore MILK! Have you ever had the Blue Velvet Cake?