Tuesday, January 20, 2009

inauguration

A lot has happened since my last blog post. I learned that bittersweet chocolate and semi sweet chocolate are interchangeable in baking, I went to yoga, I baked some cookies, and oh yes, we got a new president. I celebrated Obama's inauguration in the same place that I celebrated his victory: the pub. It was pretty cool, witnessing history and all that jazz, and getting a new president.

I don't have a whole lot to say, except that I thought it was strange that Obama and Chief Justice Roberts were standing so far apart when Roberts was administering the oath. Is this the norm? Were they keeping their distance because Obama voted against Roberts' confirmation? So, I read an article about how Obama and Biden made a pre-inaugural visit to the Supreme Court. It mentions that Obama voted against the confirmation of both Roberts and Alito. (By the way, all of the justices were in attendance at this pre-inaugural visit, except for Alito- somebody's holding a grudge, eh?) Anyway, I wonder if it's awkward to meet with someone who voted against your confirmation. Is it kind of like running into an ex-boyfriend?

What else? I learned that the Constitution says that the president-elect takes office at noon, regardless of whether or not he (hopefully a she someday!) has been sworn in. During the inauguration activities, the camera would occasionally zoom in on Bush. I have to wonder, was he literally counting down until the clock struck 12? If I had a dismal approval rating, surely I would be counting down until my predecessor took office. (And, this is my confession: I couldn't help but feel a tiny bit sorry for the guy- but just a tiny bit- please don't kick my ass)

All right, other stuff. Here's an interesting article: The Democrats are seeking to expand its base in the Rocky Mountain states.
There are five Democratic governors in the region; Obama won Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico; Democrats Janet Napolitano and Ken Salazar have been appointed to Cabinet positions. And finally, I'm glad to see that Obama, among several goals, plans to lift the global gag rule, which restricts federal funding to international family planning groups that either perform abortions or counsel women on abortions.

No comments: