Monday, January 19, 2009

South Carolina: Day 1

I've promised you fun stories and pictures, so here goes. I had tons of fun in South Carolina, and we had 3 very full action-packed days. On the first day, we had a wedding shower for Hawkeye and Brian's family and friends. Here is the bridal party with Hawkeye:
(back row: Tripper, Sardean, Jamie, Hawkeye, Jessica; front row: Tracy, me)

This is when we met Brian's family and many of the friends that work with him and Hawkeye. It was nice to finally meet many of the people that I had heard so much about. I don't really have a whole lot to say about the shower, except that I learned that pimento cheese spread is a Southern food. I did not know this. Among other foods, we served pimento cheese sandwiches, which kind of tastes like olive flavored Cheez Wiz, if there is such a thing. Oh, and I made a joke about strip clubs, and then I had to explain what strip clubs are to Hawkeye's mom. I know, I know, inappropriate wedding shower conversation fodder. (but at least I keep things interesting, right?) Hawkeye's mom asked us what we were doing for the bachelorette party, and without thinking, I said that we were taking Hawkeye to a strip club. We had a good chuckle.

Later that afternoon, we ran a few errands and bought Hawkeye and Brian a wedding gift. So, I actually don't believe in wedding gifts. Obviously, Hawkeye knows my view on weddings and how I don't believe in many (or any) of the traditions. After all, it's not as though she just met me, and I have strong opinions. Anyway, I was sort of feeling like a slacker bridesmaid, so I agreed to go in on a wedding gift, but only if it were for the baby. (I'm not being a bitch here; Hawkeye even expressed that of all people, I was the one person that she didn't want a gift from because then it would mean that I'm selling out- remember, she didn't just meet me, so my values and opinions are nothing new to her) So, a few of us decided to get Hawkeye and Brian a high chair. As I was wheeling it out of Target, Sardean pointed out the irony of me with a high chair (because I'm totally not maternal). Of course, we had to document it:
After the shopping, we went bowling. I rolled a couple strikes and several gutter balls. We ate dinner, and then painted pottery for Hawkeye's bachelorette party. We each painted a letter from Brian's last name. I got the 'L.'

Sardean was painting this platter, but she totally painted the wrong wedding date. Instead of January 10, 2009, she painted September 7, 2009. We all had a really good laugh, she fixed the date, and I made fun of her a lot. (I would post a picture, but I'm afraid she would kill me. ) By the way, we have no idea why she chose September 7th, and I'd like to point out that this story was much funnier in person. After painting pottery, we went home and tie dyed underwear- black and white (the wedding colors). Sounds random, but the tie dying was a tradition that Hawkeye, Sardean, and I began when Sardean got married. (the tradition might die if I don't get married) We were exhausted, so I don't have pictures.

Who's ready for Day 2?

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

There is NO WAY someone didn't know what a strip club is...is there?