Tuesday, January 6, 2009

in the news

I might have an unhealthy addiction to Bath & Body Works and Burt's Bees. I just finished sorting through the random stuff in my backpack so I can use it as a carry-on tomorrow. I found 2 full sized bottles of Bath & Body Works hand creams, a jar of Burt's Bees hand cream, lip gloss from Bath & Body Works, and some Burt's Bees lip gloss.

The other day, I read an article about how the cash strapped UC system may start accepting more non-California residents in order to raise its revenue. It's attractive not only because non-state residents pay more in tuition, but also because it would help increase campus diversity. The article says that compared to other schools in the United States, the proportion of out-of-state residents in the UCs are considerably low. I think that any effort to increase diversity on the UC campuses is a good thing since it seems as though native Californians fail to realize that there are 49 other states in the United States. One of the biggest complaints that I and many other out-of-staters have is this notion of "California Exceptionalism," where in-staters (several who have never lived outside California) seem to dismiss the other states, believing that California is superior to all others. I guess that there are elements of state pride found in every state, but it's especially irritating here.

Moving on. I realize that it was probably unethical for Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich to try to auction off Obama's Senate seat. Instead of merely appointing someone to take the seat, Blagojevich tried to sell the seat for personal gain. But seriously, is this "pay to play" scheme really that far off from what really goes on in electoral politics? I'm just sayin'. Go to Open Secrets where the Center for Responsive Politics keeps track of candidates for congressional races, how much money they raised, and where that money came from. Check out who raises the most money and who wins those races. Kind of looks like "pay to play" to me.

Minnesota says that Al Franken beat Norm Coleman in the recount, but the race appears headed to court. I don't really have anything to say about this, except that I saw Norm Coleman at the Minnesota State Fair in 2004. I think he gave a speech, but I don't remember what he said. I just remember thinking that he wasn't bad looking and that he had nice hair. (I'm really embarrassed that I just wrote that) And one of my old Minnesota friends lives in the same condo building as Al Franken. He has spotted Franken working out in the gym, and Franken apparently invited him to a party. I bet that was code for fundraiser. Anyway...

Finally, Carl Pohlad, the owner of the Minnesota Twins has passed away. During his tenure, the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991. I have one question: Does this mean that the Minnesota Twins are for sale? Can I buy them? You know what my first order of business would be? Marrying the catcher, Joe Mauer.

Well, I'm headed to South Carolina tomorrow. Speaking of state pride, I'm revisiting the land of confederate flags, people who view "Yankees" with disdain, and the belief that the South will rise "again." At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. Stay tuned for pictures!

No comments: