Monday, July 7, 2008

27 and inching closer to 30

Okay, so I get to be 27 for about 24 more minutes. Okay, now 18 more minutes (I paused to waste some time on Facebook). I told DM that I was celebrating a birthday, and he thought that I was turning 24. I love it when this sort of stuff happens. I think it's hilarious when people think that I am a lot younger than I really am. I am never offended by this, and this sort of stuff happens to me a lot. Here are some of my favorite anecdotes:

I could pass for an undergrad. Sometimes my students ask me how I became a TA, meaning that they don't realize that I'm a grad student. Instead, they think that I must be a really smart undergrad who somehow gets to be a TA.

Professors never think that I am as old as I am. In my Public Law class last spring, TS sometimes mentioned how some books published in the early 80s were probably older than some of us in class. And he would sort of glance at me. Little does he know...

And my favorite story: I went to urgent care when I was 26. When I checked in, I submitted my photo ID and insurance card. When I got back to the examining room, a nurse came in and asked if the hospital had consent. I was confused. She asked if I could call my parents for consent. It turns out that the person who recorded the information from my driver's license had written down that I was born in 1990 instead of 1980. I (and the nurses) had a good laugh when we all realized that they actually thought that I was 16. Now, I know that I look young, but I usually pass for at least 21. Usually.

No comments: