Sunday, July 20, 2008

will the real U of M please stand up?

So here I am, blogging to you from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Let me start off by saying that you really can't get a break when it comes to visiting the Midwest. If you go in the winter, the weather is snowy and cold. If you go in the summer, it's hot and humid. And anyone who has lived in Minnesota would say that these are really the only two seasons. In case you've forgotten, I am in Michigan for a month long statistics workshop, also known as stats camp. Yeah, yeah, make all the jokes you want. After going to Girl Scout Camp, diving camp, band camp, and colorguard camp, let's add one more to the list.

I took a quick walk around the neighborhood tonight. The campus reminds me of the University of Minnesota, and the neighborhood bears some resemblance to Dinkytown. I made a new friend at UCI a couple months ago. He is originally from Detroit and he graduated from the University of Michigan. When I told him that I graduated from the Univ of MN, he said that a common pastime of Michigan students was to debate which school (the Univ of MN or the Univ of MI) was the real U of M, all over pitchers of beer. They never came to a consensus, and I told him that we did not have similar conversations in MN. I guess we just skipped the debates and went straight for the beer.

No comments: