Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the tour of scotland

Well, I could tell you about how I spent a really long and tedious time today calculating the coefficients to a multivariate equation, but I'm almost positive that you would prefer that I discuss scotch instead. Last night, my friend Bruce and I went to Ashley's, a local pub along State Street. (It reminded me of the Big 10 in Minneapolis, except with a way bigger and better beer selection.) I drank a pint of the Edmund Fitzgerald, a local brew. It was a fantastic porter. Bruce and I shared an order of Stilton Fries, waffle fries covered in Stilton and served with a jalapeno dipping sauce. They were highly recommended and a local favorite. Then Bruce decided that we should sample the scotch. We got a Flight of Scotland, which had 4 samples: Auchentoshan, Glengoyne, Glenfarclas, and Bunnahabhain. Now, my friend seems to be an experienced connoisseur of liquor, while I am not. The sampling went something like this:

B: (After a quick explanation of Scotland and where all the samples come from: highland, lowland, etc; B hands me the Auchentoshan) Now, smell the scotch and tell me what it reminds you of.
K: (Sniffing) It smells like tequila.
B: (laughing) Try again. Really inhale.
K: Still smells like tequila to me.
B: Let me try. (So, he takes the shot, inhales, and starts talking about how he smells the aromas of cherrywood and a bunch of other stuff.)
K: Okay, I'll try again. (Deep inhale) Still smells like tequila. (Then I taste the scotch) And it tastes like tequila, too.
B: (shaking head at me and taking the scotch) I taste cherrywood...(and then he lists of a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now)

So, the scotch sampling went on like this until we got to the last sample, the Bunnahabhain. This one still smelled like tequila to me, but a smoky one. When I tasted it, it didn't taste like tequila, but rather a campfire in my mouth. That's exactly what I said, too. So, it was fun to sample the scotch, but clearly I don't have a sophisticated palette or discerning nose. Or, maybe I just drink too much tequila.

(I should point out that the night of beer and scotch had no effect on the length of time it took me to calculate coefficients today. If you saw the equation, the data, and all the requisite steps, you would understand.)

No comments: