Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie: Trial 10

Last night I made Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies from my Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe book. This was my first foray into oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to photograph the cookies, so you don't get a visual today. Sorry about that. I mean, I could just lie to you and post an old picture of another cookie, but I'm not going to do that.

I modified the recipe in two ways: First, I omitted the grated chocolate bar because I didn't read the recipe in advance to make sure that I had all the necessary ingredients. Second, instead of grinding all of the oats, I ground up half of them and then added the rest in their whole form. It seems odd that an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie would instruct me to grind up the oats, but several of the recipes in this book called for ground oats. Strange. Another thing: I really have to start carefully reading recipes before I start to bake. I thought that this recipe yielded 2 dozen, only to realize at the end that the recipe yields 2 dozen gigantic cookies, not 2 dozen normal sized cookies. Had I known, I would have halved this recipe. Nevertheless, no complaints since I had plenty to go around my department and I even sent a batch with my roommate.

When I pulled these cookies out of the oven, they were really, really light. So light that I didn't trust that they were done, even though the recipe told me that "although these cookies may not appear done at the end of baking time, do not overbake." Well, good thing I listened to the recipe because these cookies were amazingly soft and chewy. These cookies had a butter base with equal parts of granulated sugar and brown sugar. They called for lots of chocolate chips and walnuts. As they cooled, they took on a darker hue so they didn't look un-done. The cookies spread out a little more than I would have liked, but I got over it. In fact, MP said that this was how cookies should look. Yeah, I guess I may be inclined to agree.

As I said, these cookies were super soft and chewy. The texture of the oats was really nice and it meshed well with the chocolate chips. It was like this nutty, chocolatey taste. The walnuts were subtle and did not overpower the cookie. When I was younger, I hated nuts in any sort of baked goods, but walnuts have started to grow on me. Lots of people liked these cookies. Jin said that these were her favorite so far, but she begged me not to stop baking. LD said that these cookies replaced his lunch, which was apparently not a bad thing.


No comments: